Sunday, October 10, 2010

final taco casserole


Food is always on my mind. I try to eat alot day in and day out, no matter where I'm at. All my friends growing up always knew the first place I go at their house is to the kitchen. Either the fridge or the food cabinets. Sometimes its weird because I can have the same things in my house as they do, but for some reason it seemed as if it tasted better from their house then from in mine, but I still eat it. But one of my favorite things to eat is taco casserole. Something my grandpa always cooked for us when I lived with him. It was fairly simple to cook with very few ingredients but had a flavor to me that seemed as if it had tons of ingredients to create this flavor.

Taco casserole is based up of four ingredients, maybe five, But not exactly sure. They are; Hamburger, doritos, taco seasoning, and lots of cheese. As I stood over my grandpas shoulder while he prepped everything, my mouth already started to water for what was soon to be an extravagant dinner. First, he fries up the hamburger with the taco seasoning mixed in until the meat browns. Then he lies a layer of the meat into the baking pan.He then blankets the beef in lots of cheese. Lots of cheese. And then the doritos on top. Then he does another layer of hamburger. Thats rite, more meat. Once again, another pile of cheese. Then last but not least, more doritos with a thin layer of cheese on top to hold everything in place. During this process, the oven is being pre heated at 450 degrees. So as he finished it up, the casserole was ready to go into the oven for a half hour atleast and then to be chowed down.

Ding! The sound of the oven letting us know that dinner was done. That was the longest half hour ever. He puts on the oven mitt and reaches into the inferno and pulls out the pan. The look of melted goodness is now ready to be devoured. He cuts the casserole up into sections to be served. I, already at his side with a plate and fork in hand, am ready to eat. He drops the piece onto my plate. The looks and smell are amazing. Everyone gets served and ready to digg in. I on the other hand, am already almost done with my first piece and just about ready for seconds by the time everyone gets served. They all digg in and are shocked by how good something like this can be with such few ingredients. Its amazingly full of flavor.

In the end, I know I am a little bit of a scavenger when it comes to going into friends houses, but none of their foods equal the flavor of the taco casserole my grandpa has shown me how to make. It seems so simple with such few ingredients that its on my soon to try and cook list at my place. I think I can accomplish this without burning my appartment down.I'm going to say maybe on that last statement. So now I am ready to eat like how I do every other hour, except this time, I want to make taco casserole. Now lets see how I do at cooking this meal.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. It makes me think of my uncle and his crazy/out of controll football parties.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete