Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pho Pho Pho!


The first time I have ever eaten Pho I was in the 10th grade. My friend Thomas had just learned of it from a Asian friend he had and decided that my friend Sabrina and I were going to go try it with him. So we all drove down to federal street where there happen to be about 40 pho restaurants which all seemed to be just be called Pho and then some number (ei: pho 33). So we finally decided on one parked and walked on inside. It looked like just a normal restaurant so we sat down and opened the menu, the only thing on the menu was pho all different kinds of pho, chicken pho, steak pho, and combinations. So we finally ordered and in about 8 min they brought it out, it is a kind of ramen noodle soup but with rice noodles. so we tried are first pho that day and it was the best decision I made that year!

Pho is a Vietnamese soup made of Rice noodles, a broth, and the meat of your choice. The broth is from whatever meat you choose to have in your pho and has a sort of sweet flavor. you can get your pho in 3 sizes small, medium, and large. A large pho is only about 6 dollars and the bowel you get is huge. before the waiter brings out your pho he brings out a big plate full of bean sprouts, lime, jalapeƱos, and some cilantro to add to your pho when you get it. I don"t usually add any of this stuff to my pho but what I do add is sriracha and this sweet berry sauce stuff that they have that makes the pho even better.

Going to get Pho with my friends has been a big part of my life sense then. Almost all my friends know and love to eat pho. One of the best part of pho is how cheap it is, instead of going to McDonalds or something like that you can go get a large pho for the same price! Another great thing is that you dont have to go far to eat pho there are pho restaurants all over the place and they are very easy to spot, because they are usually just named "pho" followed by a number. My personal favorite pho restaurant is called pho 555. it is my favorite because its large is really big, it has really good pho, and on weekends its open till 3am!

Ive tried making Pho at home a couple of times and it never seems to come out right. Here is a recipe on how to make Pho. Making Pho was pretty much a all day event for me it is pretty time consuming and and kind of expensive to make it yourself so I would recommend to just g out and buy it. But what you have to do is get a big pot and boil a whole bunch of different different ingredient like ginger, chard onions, and a bunch spices and you boil it for about 2 hours until the broth is done. You then pretty much cut the meat of your choice and then boil your rice noodles. You don"t cook the meat you add the meat at the end and it cooks in the hot soup. you then add everything together and you've got Pho. To bad I can never seem to get it to come out just right.

Pho is one of my favorite dishes and has been a awesome place for me and my friends to eat and hang out. My friends and I eat there at least once a week and It never gets old. The only bad thing about pho is that making it at home is time consuming and I can never seem to get it right. Thinking back having pho for the first time with my friends is one of my favorite memories and cant wait to go have some again soon.

1 comment:

  1. What happened to 'GO PHO YOURSELF"?

    Perhaps in the next week or two we can hang out, play some XBox and get some Pho.

    ReplyDelete