Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Food Blog (At a loss and stuck)


OK, kind of open form here, not my actual rough draft, more or less I am posting this as a way of just analyzing what I can do and what I want to do and seeing what might work for me, and possibly some feedback from anyone who happens to read this. So please, comment, click thumbs up if you like it and subscribe, OH I’m sorry that’s Youtube, but the idea is the same, any feedback would be awesome.

So I am having a hard time deciding what to base my food blog on.

I love food, I am what you may call a foodie, I cook new things all the time, I make it a point to try new foods all he time, and share the really good ones with everyone, except for my Baklava recipe, I had beg and grovel for years to get this from my childhood old world Greek babysitter and then promise to never share her family recipe with anyone except my children when they grow up, this stuff is the real deal not the stuff you get in stores, I may make some and bring it in if I can find the time. Between 14 credit hours managing my company, starting up another one and interning at a third company and studying with the public utility commission, that is to say I am a little overwhelmed and I would love to bring some in, just no promises.

I mean there are things like pastries, I bake and cook a lot of things and a lot of the time, I make tons of pastries and I only kind of LOVE PASTRIES, especially during the holiday season and I give them out to friends and family (JUST MAKE SURE YOU GIVE MY NICE PIE PANS BACK, THOSE THINGS ARE NOT CHEAP), is there much depth to his one though, I make pastries and give them out, there actually isn’t any family history there, no real cultural backing, other than a nice gesture to others, there is no actual family coming together type dynamics so I’m on the fence here.

I’ve mentioned Fry Bread several times, there is a wonderful symbolic meaning behind this food, there is a heritage factor, there is even a SMALL experience with it, though I don’t want to go this rout, Ill wind up getting too preachy and on my ‘soap box’ about, YES A VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE, and still detracting from the assignment. As well it is best for me build a history of quality writing and have connection with a wide enough group of readers before hitting the real issues hard, so I’m leaning away from this one.

I could go further on my beans blog and reform it to incorporate some of my experiences with my own cultural background as well as other cultures I have been able to experience because of this common ground and a desire to try new foods which leads to (hopefully) getting more in depth into experiencing those cultures beyond the dinner table. Really, I’m just mot feeling passionate about this topic either.

The food topic I am leaning towards the most is the over processing, adulteration of modern food stocks. Genetic modifications and their implications, hybridization and the already prevalent degradation of entire genetic strains, mono cropping and the effects on ecological systems, the horrid atrocities that are being put in consumer food products, the lack of nutrition or rather over abundance of ‘anti nutrition’ in the U.S. and other nations, the effects on the human condition, lies from the FDA, and on and on. Lets see, I’m passionate about this topic, I have experience in this area, I can tie in family and culture, and I can make a story of it. Then again, I’m afraid of getting too technical, too preachy, too research based, and so on.

SOOOO, the question for myself from myself is, “WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?”

No comments:

Post a Comment