Wednesday, September 22, 2010

From the garden massacre (practice)

Not but a few months ago, my ambitions were swollen. So how I decided to resolve this, was to til the land, more specifically a small patch in from of my front entrance to my place. Knowing that the season was short I found a veggie that would fruit within my temporal constraints. Zucchini's tend to fruit within a few weeks to a month, so they were my first choice, though I dissented into other squash and whatever fruits and/or veggies that were overly aged in my refrigerator.

After the arduous task of tilling, moving manure, and outright digging through the clay/sand soil, I acquired seeds, tools and applied them to the newly converted ground. After the first week the tiny plants sprouted, shedding there casings, the excitement that I was feeling was explosive! This in fact is my first garden, that is first garden that I have maintained and propagated, making everything that I get an advent of my will, and therefore filling me with elation everyday.

This great deal of happiness was shortly stifled. Sadly, I didn't realize the implications of planting readily eaten plant material in a dieing field. Everyday, a new leaf, the size of the dish used for thanksgiving turkey, is gone! The terror of the spring loaded menace had struck, and being smack dab in a field protected by the state, I have no means, right now, of getting rid this radical population.

This morning, I stood at the edge of my colony of plants and mourned. Yes, the process of nature means that I helped out the population of grasshoppers, but I didn't want to! I wanted to perpetuate my own life cycle and well, the lives of those (humans) that are willing to enjoy my produce. All-in-all, I'm grateful for everything that mother earth gave me, I just wish that she would have given more to the plants.

2 comments:

  1. cayenne pepper and lemon juice work wonders for keeping all sorts of bugs at bay, also the healthier the plant, the less bugs that will affect them. Marigolds will keep just about anything except earwigs and grubs away from your garden. For earwigs and grubs, Ive found a hammer or pliers work best. If you feel the ambition next year, wherever you plant big nitrogen consumers such as squash and corn, go ahead and plant beans along their bottoms, being legumes they provide all the nitrogen you will ever need. For grasshoppers specifically, the best remedy Ive found is chickens and ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Mathew gave you some good gardening advice. I hope you still had great fun in your food-growing pursuits. I am super thankful for the zucchini gift (probably best zucchini bread I have ever made, actually, so a big fat thanks).

    ReplyDelete