Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Turtle Bean (Practice Blog)




The turtle bean is a type of black bean. What an interesting name for a bean, right? It comes from the Carribean and is named for the black shells on turtles found there. These beans are really small, usually dried and provide a lot of protein. They are most popular in Latin American Cuisine and in Southern Louisiana where they use the beans in cajun and creole cuisines. They are also popular in vegetarian dishes because of their slight mushroom taste and meaty texture. Here is a delicious soup recipe from Cooks.com.
I had no idea how many different types of beans there are. I mean, I knew there were a lot but apparently there are much more than I knew. I only found out because of a classmate who brought a bag full of a variety of beans I never heard of. I completely forgot to bring my own food item and Matthew the bean guy was good enough to share. I picked the turtle bean because it is an interesting name for a bean and I wondered what could be made from them.

Turtle beans grow from a plant which produce pods that house the beans. They look a lot like peppers to me. This is a quote from, Garden Web, in response to the question, "How do turtle beans grow?" "The plant of the Black Turtle Bean is a hardy bush-type plant that is very disease resistant and handles drought and heat very well." Sounds like a really good plant to have growing in your garden, they last a long time and do not easily get ruined. After they are dried they are preserved well for a long time and can be saved for those drought days (if that ever happened). It also says that it takes from 90 to 120 days for these beans to mature and the plants grow between 18 to 24 inches tall.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect food for the garden, Aaron. And I do love turtle beans (I would actually like to think of all my black beans as turtle beans because it is so much fun to say).

    ReplyDelete